The historical centre
A medieval city.
From "Palazzo della Ragione" to "Piazza dei Signori"
The historic centre of Padua is dominated by the imposing Palazzo della Ragione, which was built in the year 1218 to host the court of justice on the upper floor, and various shops on the ground floor. The three squares surrounding the palace - Piazza delle Erbe, Piazza della Frutta and Piazza dei Signori - are the site of Padua’s daily market, which has been taking place here for more than 800 years. The squares are lined by bars, restaurants, shops and historical buildings. Near there are Palazzo Bo, the historical seat of Padua University, and the Caffè Pedrocchi, one of the most famous historical cafès in Italy and prestigious venue for cultural events.
Another great monumental area is around St. Anthony’s Basilica, locally simply called Il Santo, which holds the mortal remains of Saint Anthony.
A short distance away you can visit the University Botanical Garden, one of oldest in the world and the Prato della Valle, one of the largest town squares in Europe.
© 2007 Hotel Belludi37
Via Luca Belludi, 37 - 35100 Padova - ITALY
Tel. +39 049 665633 - Fax +39 049 658685 - P.IVA 04072640289